Accident & Health Questions & Answers

As a global provider of insurance and reinsurance broking services for life, medical expenses, accident, group life catastrophe, travel and emergency assistance, JLT Specialty’s Accident and Health team offer product expertise coupled with strong market relationships to deliver value to their clients.

The team answer a series of frequently asked questions. Contact us if you would like to discuss any of these questions and answers in more detail.


If you are insured under a Corporate PA & Travel policy you do not need to advise your insurers of any pre-existing medical conditions.  However, you should not travel against medical advice or for the purpose of obtaining medical treatment. If in doubt, contact your GP to obtain a fit to fly sign-off, which can help at claims stage.

There are some territories which are considered “high risk”, and any travel to these destinations must be declared to insurers prior to travel and full details disclosed.  Insurers may opt to charge an additional premium for such trips or only offer restricted cover. We would always recommend checking with your insurance broker before travelling to any “high risk” or sanctioned territories.

Insurers will not usually charge if the difference between the estimated and declared wage roll, employee numbers, or travel pattern is within 10%. However, if it is more than 10%, insurers may require an additional premium.

You need to check if there are any restrictions or exclusions related to any of these activities. If there are, speak to your insurance broker about having these reinstated.

Leisure travel is defined in two ways on a travel policy; connected to a business trip or independent of a business trip. You need to check your policy to see if these are covered .If not, you, your children or dependents can be added for an additional premium under a company travel policy.

Any age restrictions may differ under the Personal Accident and Travel sections of the policy. The Personal Accident section of the policy will usually only provide a limited benefit for persons aged 75 and over, and some insurers do not offer an upper limit for travel or may apply a maximum number of trip days. Insurers may agree to extend the cover depending on the information provided.

An additional insured is an entity that can seek coverage under your policy if held liable in a claim or suit resulting from your event. These could be subsidiaries, a joint venture, the venue owner or sponsors etc. who are all associated with the event and have an interest in it.

Most insurers have an assistance call centre number in the policy, or a mobile travel app which you can download onto your mobile phone with an assistance call button to put you in touch with the emergency medical assistance company, which can assist you wherever you are in the world. It will also give you access to a host of additional travel information.



Accident & Health

Read more

What happens if...

Read more Q&A's